Facebook notified me recently about my year in review. It was a slideshow of my photos captured within the current year. I am not really sure what is the algorithm on how Facebook chooses photos for a year in review; probably those that got the highest number of likes and reactions or probably not. It was nothing but a reminder on how much I gained weight in just a matter of almost 12 months, and that the year is about to end, and that we are about to welcome a brand new year.
Since we are just a few days away from 2017, why don’t we all do a life retrospective? It’s pretty simple. We are just going to answer the three questions that are only often asked and answered during IT projects’ sprint retrospective: What went well? What went wrong? How can I improve?
2016 was not a great year. It was not even a good year. Several inspirational artists died this year: Allan Rickman and David Bowie to name a few. You can check Worst Things That Happened in 2016 if you are still not convinced that 2016 has been rough. In my personal life and career, there were several mistakes that I have made, a LOT of fork roads that I have encountered, and a couple of risks that I have taken. Nevertheless, that is not to say that there were no joyous moments that are deserving of recognition.
What Went Well?
- I got to travel to old and new places. This year, I went to Boracay, Subic, Bataan, and Cebu.
- I landed a freelance job and has been working from home since.
- I managed to ditch the stressful traffic every single day because.. (Refer to #2)
- I learned to cut ties with stressful people, no matter how painful it is to do.
- I discovered new things, be it in technology, TV series (Black Mirror and Westworld), books, or a discovery within myself.
- I wrote several poems.
- I got to watch Les Miserables live.
- I got to watch Spoken Word Poetry live (Words Anonymous and Sierra Demulder).
What Went Wrong?
- I resigned twice this year which doesn’t look good on a resume if I would want to land a day job in the near future.
- Glen died in The Walking Dead series. T_T
- I gained a couple of pounds which is bad for my health.
- Trip to Palawan was cancelled.
How Can I Improve?
- Exercise daily.
- Write more often on my blog and be consistent in creating new content.
- Read more often.
- Travel to new places.
- Talk to my parents more frequently.
I am quite surprised that the list of “What Went Well” is longer than my list of “What Went Wrong”. It is really a good practice to stop once in a while and reflect on where we are and what we have done so far. Through this, we would be able adjusts the sail of our boat when the wind is against our direction.
How about you? What are the things that you think went well, went wrong this 2016, and that you need to improve on in 2017?